Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Radical, Chapter 8

Living when dyeing is gain.


WOW!!!


I am so in awe at the amazing stories of the people who choose to be radical.  I mean amazed, I really don't know that I could do some of the things they do.  To say that this makes me feel inadequate, once again, is putting it mildly.


I truly want what they have, I do.  But I also think that there are a lot of things I can do in my own neighborhood to show God's love.  Is that wrong?  I don't think it is.


One of my favorite parts of this chapter was the story of the SS United States.  I think that is what has happened to all of us.  The church included.  We are not using ourselves to our full capacity.  We have become comfortable with just "being" a Christian and not living like Christians.


I know that the world doesn't revolve around me.  And I have lost people and seen others come to Christ because of it.  That is God!  God is truly sovereign, and while I know this, I have forgotten just how sovereign he really is.


Because it is so true that nothing happens that he does not know about.  He is truly in control.  


This book has so changed my way of thinking!  


I am beginning to look at this world through different eyes.  We have become complacent.


It's becoming easier and easier to just show up and not really do anything.  


Are we willing to obey the orders of Christ?  Are we willing to be like him?  Are we willing to risk our lives to go to great need and to great danger--whether it's in the inner cities around us, the difficult neighbor across the street, the disease ridden communities in Africa, or the hostile regions of the middle east?
Radical Pg.171


The key is realizing--and believing--that this world is not your home.  If you and I ever hope to free our lives from worldly desires, worldly thinking, worldly pleasures, worldly dreams, worldly ideas, worldly values, worldly ambitions, and worldly acclaim, then we must focus our lives on another world.
Radical Pg. 179

These were just some of my favorite parts.  Join us at Marla's for the Radical read a long!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right that God has a job for us right here in our own neighborhoods too. I'm blogging about that tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, Renee!!

    ReplyDelete