Saturday, October 6, 2012

Thanksgiving

No, not the holiday.

More the state of mind, being Thankful.

This morning I was reading my devotional and it was telling the story of how the serpent tempted Eve by giving her a sense of counterfeit joy.  

As I was reading I thought of all the times Satan plants negative thoughts in my head and how easy it is to be deceived into thinking he's right.

Counterfeit joy has nothing on real joy, it seems good for a minute but then it usually hurts someone else.  I have fallen for his lies more times than I care to admit, and the good feeling doesn't last like real joy.

But he can really make it look good.

It can be especially easy when life gets hectic and things seem to be falling apart, God wants more than that for us, he wants us to have a peace and joy that passes all understanding.

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.
Philippians 4:6-7

I was watching an interview with Ann Voskamp the other day and she was talking about Joy and being Thankful.  Having a heart of gratitude. If we can see all that God has given us and be thankful for what we have, we can have amazing joy.

So that's gonna be my new thing.  

I am going to intentionally be thankful.

And with Thanksgiving will come joy!


1 comment: