Friday, October 21, 2011

Are we being obedient?

I think I have mentioned before that in our Bible study we are doing Genesis.


Now, I have to admit when I first heard that was what we were doing, I wasn't really impressed.  I imagine that's why I am just a simple layperson.  


But once we started going through it, I have been amazed at how much I have gotten out of it.  I really am impressed with how simple things are sometimes, yet we sometimes over analyze or maybe we just look right over it.  Or maybe it's just me.  


We are currently reading all about Abraham. Now, Abraham's character has some flaws, but one thing he does without wavering is he listens to what God tells him to do and he does it, no questions asked.


WOW!!!


We were discussing how when God told Abraham to take Isaac to the mountain and sacrifice him, he goes.  That simple, he just goes!  While I can't imagine what must have been going through his head while he was going.  He never questioned the reasoning of why God asked him to do what he was doing, he only did as he was told.


What obedience.  I have said that there were times when I wish that God spoke to us in audible voices so that we would know that it was truly him.  But I have to wonder, would I be as obedient as Abraham?  Have you ever felt like God was trying to get your attention but we dismissed it to our imagination, or just tell ourselves that we are reading too much into it.  Maybe we or I should be more aware of when those feelings come over me.  Maybe, just maybe, I don't "hear" because I don't want to.  


What seems like blind obedience to me, is just natural for Abraham.  While he wasn't perfect, he was completely and totally committed to the purpose God gave him.  What is amazing also is that he didn't even know what God had planned for him, he only knew to go where he said and to just trust him.


Sounds simple doesn't it?


But is it?  Do we trust God completely?


With every aspect of our lives?
Our finances?
Our jobs?  Or lack of jobs?
Our health?


What seems so simple can be so hard for us can't it.  


What is harder about asking ourselves if we are being obedient, the question or the answer.




1 comment:

  1. VERY good post. I am certainly not obedient often, but when I AM, it feels so good that I TRUSTED HIM!

    ReplyDelete