Thursday, November 5, 2009

Everything I learned. . . .

The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures,
He leadeth me beside still waters.
He restoreth my soul.
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me,
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;

Thou annointest my head with oil
My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and Merci shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.
Psalm 23


The other day, I was listening to something on the radio that was pertaining to what our kids were learning in school.

I thought about all the things kids learn about now in school, and some of the things they don't learn.

For instance, every morning in Elementary school, we would recite the 23rd Psalm. EVERY DAY!

We would also say the Lords prayer and the pledge of allegiance.

Now I know that after 9/11, a lot of schools began doing the pledge of allegiance again, but I don't know that they still do. I am talking about public schools here, I feel sure private or Christian schools do this.

What are we teaching our kids now? I have to say that I have two teenagers and I can tell you what they don't learn.

What has happened to learning how to write? The schools spend very little time teaching kids to write. When I was in school, fourth grade to be exact. We had specific times designated to help us learn to write our letters correctly. If there was something we had trouble with, we got extra help.

How about spelling? We did spelling all through middle school. I am not sure that kids are really getting the basics, reading, writing, and arithmetic. I think because of all the new testing, and No kid left behind stuff, that kids aren't getting the basics that they need.

Kids need to be taught how to balance a check book. How to write checks. How to write letters. How to be respectful.

Maybe if they were still able to recite the 23rd Psalm things would be different. Maybe.


1 comment:

  1. Do you know I couldn't recite it? I missed *He leads me in the paths of righteousness.....* but it's not because I didn't learn it. There are so many things kids in school would benefit from learning. I guess that is one of the benefits of homeschool.

    ReplyDelete