Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who do you say that I am?

OK, last night was bible study again, and the closer we get to Easter, the more I am loving doing Luke.  We are getting closer and closer to the time of the crucifixion and I love the way Jesus is trying to give his Disciples some warning of what is going to happen to him, but they just don't want to hear it. 

When he is with the Disciples and he is praying, and he asks them "Who do the people say I am?", they tell him some say John the Baptist, some say prophets from long ago that have come back,  then he asks them "Who do you say that I am?".   I really like that question!  At some time in our lives we will all have to answer that question.  When they say, you are the Christ.  This is when he begins to tell them all that he will have to endure.  And Peter, just being Peter, took Jesus aside and told him that those things would never happen to him.  


I don't know about you but I can definitely identify with Peter.  Let's face it, he is loving having Jesus around and who wouldn't.  I think he probably never wanted it to end.  So when he hears something bad he just doesn't want to believe that it is going to happen.  


How many times do we hear about something that isn't pleasant and simply ignore it, or maybe just act like it isn't going to happen.  Unfortunately, bad stuff happens.  That's life, it always has happened and it always will.  I guess we just have to decide how we want to handle it.  

Maybe how we answer his question will help us with how we handle bad news.

 

1 comment: