Thursday, April 16, 2009

Truth or Dare!




Remember when you were in middle school or maybe even elementary school and you would be at a sleepover and someone said "Let's play truth or dare". I wasn't necessarily a big fan of that game myself. I didn't get out much you see and I was shy in elementary and middle school. (Weird, huh that now I put my life on the Internet.)
I cried every year on the first day of school until I was in fourth grade. I only stopped then because my cousin said, "Are you going to start crying again this year?" How dare he say that to me the big weenie, so I showed him. I DIDN'T CRY! I DIDN'T CRY! I DIDN'T CRY!!!
That's right tough guy, who you gonna pick on now!

So anyway, let's just say I was a late bloomer, you know I really didn't get interested in boys until I was in High school, so when my friends would say, Don't you think _______ is cute? I would be like NO! He is gross! (And I was usually right, they were kinda dorky.)
Looking back, I am glad that I wasn't like the other girls but then, I was really embarrassed. I wish I knew now what I didn't know then. It's OK to be yourself. Kids today have a lot of pressure on them.
Getting asked if I had ever kissed a guy was my biggest worry, now most kids are way ahead of that game. I've heard of several games that are sooo much worse than truth or dare.

I remember one particular sleepover where all the girls were talking about VD, I kept asking what is VD? The smartest girl there would say "Venereal Disease", then came the question "What is Venereal Disease?" Do you know what she would say? "VD!" So let's face it, if that was the best explanation she could give me, she didn't know either.
That leads me to believe that kids are kind of the same now as they were when I was a kid. I know of some kids now who think they know everything, but ask them what VD is if you really want to know what they know.


No comments:

Post a Comment